Complicite and Schaubühne Berlin's sold-out production Beware of Pity will be available to watch here on demand for two weeks, until 11:59pm on 26 Feb.
If you are viewing this page on a desktop computer, you can access the live stream in the top left-hand corner of the screen. If you are using a mobile device or tablet, the video appears below this text when you scroll down.
Simon McBurney directs the outstanding Schaubühne ensemble in a vivid account of a young man’s slide into a terrible situation, his struggle to extricate himself from it raising questions of consciousness and compassion.
Young officer Hofmiller commits a faux pas at a soirée held by a Baron, unwittingly asking his paralysed daughter to dance. The mistake pulls him into a relentless train of events in this devastating depiction of honour, love and betrayal, realised against the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Empire – a catalyst for the outbreak of the First World War.
Two of Europe’s most boundary-pushing, imaginative theatre companies work together at the Barbican for the first time. Their co-production is based on Stefan Zweig’s 1939 novel, written just before the Second World War but looking back to the verge of the previous disaster. Reverberating in the past and present, the story is relayed in German by seven actors, swapping narration and dialogue to vocally build the tension of McBurney’s orally rich, visually eloquent production.
Beware of Pity follows the five-star triumphs of The Encounter and The Forbidden Zone, the last shows presented at the Barbican by Complicite and the Schaubühne respectively.
Instructions for watching
• Press play on the embedded YouTube video and the live stream will begin (3pm on 12 Feb).
• We recommend playing the stream at the highest quality. To do this, make the video full screen and click on the settings icon at the bottom, select 'quality' and then select '720p'. If, however, you experience any disruption or lagging in the video, go back to these settings and choose ‘Auto’.
• We recommend watching using either Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your browser.
• Wifi or wired internet is recommended, but you should also be able to stream live to your mobile with mobile data.
• The show is performed in German and will have English subtitles.
Age Recommendation: 12+
Running Time: 120 mins, no interval
Performed in German with English subtitles